Thursday, December 31, 2009

2009 - A look back

It’s that time of year.  The time when everyone looks back on the year that was.  The good, the bad and all the rest.

I’ve started this post a few times and never been very happy with how it turned out.  Looking back on 2009, I’ve come to the conclusion that 2009 mostly blew.

Personally, for me, the year was pretty good, more highs than lows, and overall better than 2008.  However, when I’ve looked back at the big news stories, movies, music, etc. of 2009, I’ve realized how much this year just stank to high heaven.  We had some miserable lows, and a few dizzying highs.  But, the lows greatly outnumbered the highs.

I looked long and hard for good music in 2009, and came up mostly empty-handed.  A handful of decent releases, but nothing earth-shattering or anything that was anything more than a blip on my radar.

Movies fared slightly better, but still nowhere near what 2008 was, movie wise.  Star Trek and Harry Potter ruled, Transformers found a way to ruin a movie about giant robots beating the crap out of each other, Watchmen left many people scratching there heads, New Moon was enjoyable.  All in all, mostly just a so-so year, nowhere near the epicness of The Dark Knight, Iron Man, Indiana Jones (fuck you, it’s good and a worthy part of the saga, but that’s another rant) and everything else from 2008.

For me, 2009 was a year of continuing what started good in the later part of 2008.  I still work at the same job, which is better than the 4 jobs I had in 2008.  Finances have improved over the clusterfuck that was 2008.  I got addicted to Facebook, Twitter, ignored MySpace, started a blog, car blew up, bought a new car, buried 1 cat who was a member of our family, adopted 2 new kittens who have fast become a part of our family, traveled, saw much, experienced much more, loved, laughed, lost, gained, spent, saved, lost friends, gained friends, rediscovered old friends, moved into a full fledged staff position with Shevacon, then nearly fucked it all up with my big mouth and short temper, and Star Wars continued to rule every facet of my life.

Star Wars continues to be everywhere for me.  I trooped 8 different events with the 501st, got to meet Seth Green and Matt Senriech, be interviewed by Fangoria online (even though they didn’t use it), have dinner with Jeremy Bulloch (aka Boba Fett) twice, got my picture in the Star Wars Insider, may or may not have been on TV, marched in freezing rain, sweated my ass off in 100 plus heat, finally finished the Hell Bucket, raised money for charity, made thousands of kids smile (and only a few cry), saw the inner child of many adults come out and shine for a few moments.  Clone Wars continues to amaze with each episode.  Celebration 5 was announced after months of rumours and speculation and plans are already in the works for Jenn and I to attend the biggest Star wars party of the year.

It’s hard to believe that we are on the cusp of 2010.  For so long, 2010 was the FUTURE!! Like it was an episode of the Jetsons or something.  We still don’t have flying cars or food in pill form, but so much has changed in our daily lives since 1999, which was surprisingly only 10 years ago.  It’s hard to believe that 10 years ago, we were all worried about Y2K and all that nonsense.  Add in the fact that I turned 30 this year and it just boggles my mind, it’s so hard to believe.  I still mostly feel the same that I did in my teens.  I don’t feel 30 on the verge of entering 2010.  It just seems very surreal.  I have high hopes for 2010, and I see many good things on the horizon.

Here’s to the future.

[Via http://murray1134.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment