Sunday, December 27, 2009

All's well on the home front

No shopping for us today. We got up showered and headed out for the 4 hour drive to my mom’s in Albuquerque. We pick up our rental car and find that Aveo may actually be french for ‘go kart’. We’re in a hurry so I push the little car up into the upper eighties and low nineties. This car is an automatic speed deterrent. As soon as I pass the 80 mph mark, something on the passenger side starts making a sound halfway between a whistle and a screech. It continues until I let off and fall back to 79 mph. We finally arrive a little after 4pm with everyone waiting for us. We have some cheese and shrimp and snacks before we get into the real feasting. We all eat far more than is healthy and retreat to the living room to open presents before we tuck into the 5 pies my mother made. Sergio does so well during dinner, he is cordial and polite and minds his manners and refrains from uncomfortable discussion topics. He even left the area when he needed to fart (he had a solid mexican breakfast). I’m very proud of him.

Sergio and I go to Walmart to pick up a few things we couldn’t take on the plane and that brings us to now. We’re quietly enjoying the kind of silence that you can really only get in deeply rural areas, the kind where you can hear the blood rushing past your eardrums. I take the opportunity to write uninterrupted and he digs into the first book he’s picked up since college. It’s called Freakonomics and he says it’s good. I’ll be reading it when he’s done since I’ve already chewed through most of the small library I have brought along.

[Via http://accordingtoleanne.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment