Saturday, February 6, 2010

olive oil is flammable

I left you Thursday night not knowing what I wanted to do for dinner.  I ended up doing the beef and barley soup and nearly blowing up the grill.  Lesson learned: don’t rub a lean cut of meat with olive oil before placing on grill.  Entire grill will light on fire.

fire still going, ( I blew out the fire on the steak)

even though the propane tank was disconnected 5 min before.

soup in the pot

He ate a few bites of soup (too bland.  I was schooled on how “vegetables” aren’t “spices” haha), steak, and two huge hunks of cornbread.  I had a small bowl of soup and a piece of cornbread.  I didn’t think it was bad, but it was bland.  Grilled meat doesn’t work in soup, either.

And he ordered Dominos anyways.   I had my fair share of pepperoni, bacon, banana peppers thin crust pizza.  Also, a mini brownie with a mini size scoop of coffee ice cream on top.  Starbucks coffee ice cream.  While watching Family Guy and the Office, good times.

Friday:

For breakfast I had a egg and waffle sandwich.  Salt and Maple Syrup on eggs, where have you been all my life??  This was so good, I would have it for every meal if these weren’t my last blueberry eggos.  On the grocery list, for sure.

Workout (surrounded by rant about the gym):

Friday morning I traveled to the gym in a housing community across base to take a power yoga class.  I was less than impressed.  The mood in the studio was whiny and little girlish.  People were complaining loud enough for the entire class to hear, phones weren’t on silent, and the instructor’s banter was along the lines of “tee hee hee oh my goodness doesn’t this hurt tee hee hee”.   For like, sticking your leg in the air for 5 seconds.  She also was not terribly clear with her directions either (“bend” meant to pull your arm back in a row motion).  Very unzen.  After about 40 minutes of that, I called it quits and lifted out in the weight area.

This particular gym is much smaller and less crowded, so I was able to camp out on one bench and get all my stuff done.  I did one major move for each upper body muscle group:

move weight reps sets Chest press 25

15

10

15

1

2

Isolated bicep curl 10 15 3 Dumb bell row 20 15 3 Seated shoulder press 10 15 3 Triceps lying overhead extension 10 15 2 Straight leg dips Body weight 15 2

Lackluster, but I did just do yoga and that was an all over strength in a way too.

While I was working, I noticed a woman being trained by a personal trainer a few benches over.  The personal trainer was going on and on about how last time her husband was deployed she did an aerobics class in the morning, ran at lunch, and ran after work every day and then would eat a shit ton of ice cream for dinner, and it was ok because she was working out so much.  I was horrified that this woman was telling her client this while she is getting paid to be a representative of healthy habits.  I mean I get it, no one’s perfect, but that is not appropriate conversation when you are on the clock with someone who is seeking health advice.

This got me looking around, and there were quite a few trainers who looked like they just crawled out of bed (it was 1030am).  Dude.  What is with this gym?  It makes me want to be a personal trainer, to be a better example.

Moral of the story, I was less than inspired by my workout.  Left the gym and drank my lemonade protein shake in the car.  Just mixed in my unflavored whey with some Kool Aid Lemonade (made with 1/3 less sugar than suggested).  It was great!  Didn’t taste the whey in the slightest!  I was out of milk and all other normal mixers.  Hence the creativity.

That coupled with the cold, wet, windy day… I needed some healing time.  After a run to the store for a few dodads (I’ll show you later), and a minute visit to Patrick at the office,  I went home and took a bath.

I ran the water at the hottest temp possible and sprinkled in a lot of epsom salt.  Lunch while the bath ran consisted of the last of my hummus on toast, as pictured as well as a second piece with a veggie burger.  So very good.  Then I just chilled in the bathtub and enjoyed for 20 minutes.  I was sweating, it was so hot in there, but it was worth it.  Lotioned up and a glass of water, and then a nap for half an hour.  I could have totally slept 8 hours after that…this might become an occasional bedtime ritual.  I was in heaven.

Then I had to go to work.  And pump gas in the driving rain.  And drive an hour and a half round trip for a jacket I left behind at a friend’s house.  And put the rain boots on to swim to the mail box.   All cocoon effects are gone, I spent the evening on the couch in blankets to get it back.

I did hit 50,000 miles of my vehicle ownership (got the beloved 4runner with 100 miles on it)!  I’ve had it 33 months!  Yes, I pulled onto the side of the road to take this picture.  :)

Dinner was a frozen pizza.  I easily had half.

I’ve noticed my food selections have been a lot more processed lately.  Poptarts, Eggos, Dominios, M&Ms, lots of wheat thins, Digiornos pizza, Starbucks Ice cream..need to swing the pendulum back towards the good stuff!

Already gone and home from work this morning, Patrick’s still asleep in the same position I left him in. It’s like we switched roles!  Got a 4-5 mile run planned for the day.  Thank goodness the rain has cleared up.  I might head out now, but I might wait a bit and see if he wants to join me.  Have a great Saturday!

[Via http://lindsayruns.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment