Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Victim of a Stalker in West Allis, WI-Part 1

I am currently a victim of a stalker and this is my story….

I have been stalked for the past 5 years at least.  A former co-worker of mine decided to follow me one day as I picked up my oldest daughter from school.  I had my younger daughter in our van with me.  As I turned the corner from our street, I noticed him parked alongside the street we had just turned on to.  He was not in his usual car that he would take to work when I worked with him.   I recognized it as his wife’s car, because he had taken it to work once in a great while when his might have been in the shop.  Side note: we were outside sales reps, so knowing whose car was whose wasn’t any big deal because we spent a good chunk of our days driving.  This man proceeded to follow me while keeping his distance, because at that point, I don’t think he knew that I was aware of what he was doing or that I recognized him.  I kept driving and he used an alley behind a Batteries Plus store to cautiously follow me.  I then got up to a left turn lane to go onto a different street and he hung back into the next lane over so someone would be able to go right behind me.  He then proceeded to go into the left turn lane once someone was behind me.  This way, he wasn’t directly behind me and in his mind, I wouldn’t see him.  The minute the left turn light turned green, I sped off so that he wouldn’t be able to follow me any further.  We got home and I called his office and left a message saying that I knew what he had just done and that if he ever followed me again, I would call the police.  Not even an hour later, he came to our front door.  He wouldn’t leave.  I opened the door but kept our screen door locked so he couldn’t get in.  He tried to explain that he just wanted to talk to me and happened to see me so he thought he would try to catch up with me.  I said he really had a funny way of “trying to catch up to me” since he was keeping his distance and being so sneaky the whole time.  I ended up shutting the door, and my oldest daughter remembers the part after this where he stood outside sobbing and yelling that he was sorry and that he only wanted to talk to me.

At this point, I should have just called the police, but I told my husband about it and thought things would be fine.  After all, it was someone I used to work with and we were all basically pretty good acquaintances.  I was too trusting.

Things seemed good for awhile.  I never noticed him following me for a few years.  I don’t know for sure if it ever stopped.  I told my husband every once in awhile that I still felt I was being followed, but I never had any proof of it after the one incident.  I suspected that he probably had a different car, because the one that he did have was on its last legs.  A few months ago, it started up again or at least I had noticed then that it had.  Maybe it never stopped, but this was when I noticed it for sure.  It was probably around the fall.  I noticed a black car speeding by on numerous occasions while I would walk up the steps to our home with my children.  A couple of months ago was when I knew for sure that it was him.  My kids and I walked up the steps and he sped by and I saw his face.  I told my husband about it and we called the police.  They said they couldn’t really do much and they gave me a number to call in case it happened again.

Almost 3 weeks ago on Thursday, February 18th at about 3:45 in the afternoon, I was on my way home from picking up my daughters from school.  As I was turning right, I noticed his black car facing the other direction and saw that it was him.  I thought maybe it was a coincidence since his sales territory (the last I knew) was in West Allis.  I still was very cautious and it was a good thing because when I pulled up to park on our street, I noticed his black car at the end of our street parked in the alley on the left side.  We were about to get out of the van, but when I noticed him, I told the kids to get buckled up again because I wasn’t about to let him watch me with my kids again.  I started to drive towards him and he went across the street to the other side of the alley and sat there.  At this point, I’m pretty sure he didn’t know that I was aware of him.  He sat in the alley as I drove by, and that is when I got his license plate number and type of car he was driving.  I turned right onto the next street and then right again and there he was sitting in the alley.  He pulled out of the alley and turned onto the street, the opposite way that I was going.  I then proceeded to the next street over because I was pretty sure that’s where he would end up and sure enough, he drove right past me.  It was at that point that I felt safe enough to go home with the kids, because he was heading away from our house by then.  I’m pretty sure he knew that I was aware of him by that time.  We drove the couple blocks home and I called my husband at work right away and asked if he would call the police.  I didn’t want to scare the kids with all of that, so I thought it would be best if he did.  The police came out within 5 minutes and I filed a report with them and they gave me the info. I would need to file a temporary restraining order against him.  The next day, my husband and son took me to the courthouse where I spent the entire morning taking care of getting the restraining order.

[Via http://reinberger.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment