Thursday, January 7, 2010

"R" stands for Run Away Eric is backing up

The perfect storm has come together outside.  No, not thee massive storm fronts converging on the Grand Banks of “Glosta” on “Octoeba”.  Like the New England accent there?  “Octoeba”. 

I’m talking the perfect storm when it comes to driving.  Well at least driving for me.

The first elements is snow.  The parking area and drive way for our apartment has a breaking point when the fluffy stuff falls.  One to five inches is fine but around six the snow starts to win out over the “massive power” of the Hyundai Elantra nicknamed Shelia stopping her progress.  I have to pull  rally car type move by gunning it in low and praying I can power slide into a space.  The landlord has a plow truck come around sometimes to clear the lot but that’s now always reliable……so neither is when Melissa mails the rent check out.  If I have to shovel you can bet our landlord might have to come over and pick it up.

The second factor in the perfect storm is not having another car in the parking area to know exactly where I’m supposed to park.  Last winter was great because someone else in our building had a busted ass 1980’s pickup truck that just sat there.  I knew precisely where my parking spot was.  That Dodge was a light house guiding me in and warning me of peril.  Now that they’ve moved out, and taking the beater with them, sometimes I end up in the grass when I back in. 

“Back in?  Whoa not your strong suit Eric.” 

Yes, I know and that brings me to the third part of the perfect storm.  Backing in.  Sometimes the people in the next building will just leave their cars “where ever they damn well please” as my Dad would say.  It’s just easier to back into my space when I get home from work rather than back out with a SUV blocking me in on my way to work.  I’m not going to lie I suck at throwing the car in reverse.  Well, actually I’m great at throwing the car in reverse.  It’s just a few notches up from “D” on the shifter.  The problems is getting the car where I want it to go in reverse.  As soon as step on the gas and touch the wheel it’s in God’s hands where the car goes.  The first time my Uncle had me back into a empty spot when he taught me to drive it didn’t go so well.  Thank got it was a empty parking lot at the community college because I ended up sideways across three spaces.

I’d like to say I’ve improved but that would be a lie.  No, scratch that.  I have improved.  Only go diagonal over two spaces.  How’s that for progress.

When the snow starts to fall and I have no point of reference where my parking spot is and the fact I need to do it backwards that’s my own personal perfect storm.  Could also consider it as a perfect storm for the apartment building itself.  It’s only a matter of time before I back the Hyundai through our bedroom.  Came close to that feat last night after work.  Ended up putting the car a mere six inches from the side of the building.  There’s about four feet of lawn between the black top and the apartment building just to let you know.

Oh well.  That’s what security deposits are for.  A hole in the wall…….a broken light fixture……a car into the building.

[Via http://huskyanimator.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment