Sunday, November 8, 2009

Wired engine

My brother and I were to meet our cousin R. today. We hadn’t spoken in 25 years when I happened to interview his boss in Rotterdam. “You have family in the area,” the man said. Yes, flustered I, wondering how he knew.  “Your cousin works three doors down from here.” It was hard keeping my mind on CRM’s and outsourcing after that. After the family reunion, I was to drop Dog off with his other owner and then rush off to a tightly scheduled party where all my colleagues are. It was going to be a crazy, busy Sunday stuffed with people.

Instead, I waited two hours for the ANWB, the Dutch breakdown people, three streets from where I live. Car worked fine when I started it. I parked it, bought flowers for my cousin and when I wanted to drive away, I couldn’t. I got that sinking feeling in my stomach that means ‘inevitable’. Turns out one of the main switches has died. The mechanic did an emergency repair. I have to connect a couple of wires before I start the engine and disconnect them when I shut it off. Great. I have the most wired handsfree set as it is (“houtje-touwtje-bluetooth,” zegt @) and now even my engine is wired. Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment